Skip to main content

Featured

News

Photo by Amy Treasure on Unsplash Shortly after Easter this year I got a very bad concussion that left me on full bed rest for three weeks and semi bed rest for another 3 weeks. For the first three weeks after the diagnosis I was not allowed to use a computer or a phone. I could not even watch TV. I was only allowed to sleep or take a walk if I felt good. The first couple of weeks were hard. The following weeks were better as I learned how to pace myself. I realized that my body was quite adept at letting me know when it had had enough. And so I listened to me and surprisingly, I learned a lot about myself.  For the first time in my life I was able to rest without guilt and it was wonderful. I unplugged and reconnected with nature and it made me incredibly happy. This enabled me to see ME for the first time in what seemed like forever and I started to understand what was missing in my life, what I needed and what I no longer needed.  For a very long time I have equated

Fiona Krüger - Memento Mori

I am fascinated by good design whether it be for a new product, a new kitchen or a new house. There are so many components that have to come together perfectly in order for the design to succeed. So many thoughts must first be put to paper and then brought to life. 

Oftentimes we don't realize just how complicated something can be to make. A good example of this is the beautiful skull watch designed by Fiona Krüger who studied at ECAL and made the watch as her final masters project. Fiona was nice enough to send me the photos of her design process so that we could follow along with the project from start to finish.

"Memento Mori reinterprets the theme of mortality in horlogery, drawing inspiration from the 17th century skull watch of Mary Queen of Scotts, Mexican Dia de Los Muertos decoration and beautifully decorated skeleton movements found in today’s luxury watches. The pieces of the skeletonised dial are layered to make up the form of a skull, echoing the layers which make up a mechanical watch movement. Each piece is decorated and assembled by hand resulting in a unique timepiece rich in tradition, know how and symbolism."   

The photographs of the watch were taken by ECAL/Damien Ropero.

Memento Mori - The Skull Watch by Fiona Krüger




Back of the watch
Side view

The design process of Fiona Kruger








Comments

Popular Posts