Skip to main content

Featured

News

Photo by Amy Treasure on Unsplash Shortly after Easter this year I got a very bad concussion that left me on full bed rest for three weeks and semi bed rest for another 3 weeks. For the first three weeks after the diagnosis I was not allowed to use a computer or a phone. I could not even watch TV. I was only allowed to sleep or take a walk if I felt good. The first couple of weeks were hard. The following weeks were better as I learned how to pace myself. I realized that my body was quite adept at letting me know when it had had enough. And so I listened to me and surprisingly, I learned a lot about myself.  For the first time in my life I was able to rest without guilt and it was wonderful. I unplugged and reconnected with nature and it made me incredibly happy. This enabled me to see ME for the first time in what seemed like forever and I started to understand what was missing in my life, what I needed and what I no longer needed.  For a very long time I have equated

DIY: Mason Jar Oil Candles for Christmas

I took one look at these and had to post the DIY! I can't wait to make them - what a great idea for a Christmas decoration. Here's the how to:

You will need:
One 1/8 "Nipple" (available in the Lighting Section of Home Depot or Lowes)
Two 1/8 Couplings (also in Lighting)
Two 3/8 Washers
100% Cotton Lamp Wicks
Your Choice of Oil: Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Peanut Oil, Lamp Oil, Liquid Paraffin Oil
Mason Jar and Lid
Decorative Elements (Optional): Pine Cones, Shells, Coffee Beans, Stones, Vanilla Beans, Herbs, Spices, Fruits

Instructions:
If the lid to your jar is a regular one (no hole), drill a hole using a 3/8 drill bit. 
Push the nipple through the hole.
On each side of the lid, add a washer and then a coupling.
Make sure the nipple and coupling are flush with the top of the lid.
Thread a cotton wick through the nipple; it will be loose at first, but will expand once it is soaked with oil.
If you want your candle to be decorative, add pine cones or other elements.
Add the oil to the jar.
Attach the completed lid to the jar.
Wait for the oil to soak the wick before lighting.

photo and instructions courtesy https://www.facebook.com/TheSmartWitch

Comments

  1. Ohhhh myyyy. That looks so fabulous! Let me repin this to my Christmas decorations pinterest board. So lovely, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful, great idea. beautiful. D.M. Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. It I add fresh herbs to the oil will it work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the instructions you may add herbs but it doesn't say if you can add fresh herbs. Personally I would not add fresh herbs as they will go moldy if it isn't something like rosemary.

      Delete
  4. Has anyone tried this? I just want to make sure it works before I go buy all the stuff to make these as gifts for all our relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the flame goes out in just a few minutes. What am I doing wrong. I have decorations in jar and used olive oil and cotton wick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wick might not be long enough. I make candles and if the wick is not long enough the flame will go out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts